Friday, May 18, 2012

Playing the Game

When I first started shooting IDPA, it was to get some practice at shooting while moving and drawing under pressure; practice for the "just in case, self defense" scenario.

It was not long before the competitor in me took over and I started wanting to win.

What kind of things did I change? It's funny... almost all of them.

The Gun
In daily life, I most likely carry a Ruger LCR revolver or a Glock 19. 

In competition, I'm shooting a Glock 34 or a Springfield XDM 5.25, both with fiber optic sights and competition triggers.

Spare Ammo
In real life, I probably carry a speed strip for the LCR or a spare mag for the Glock... but only if it's colder and I'm wearing a jacket with pockets.

In competition, I have two mags in a pouch, something I've never worn in real life.

Concealment garment
In real life, the LCR is in my pocket or the Glock is on my belt, covered by a T-shirt and/or jacket or unbuttoned dress shirt.

In competition, I'm wearing a 5.11 tactical vest.

Holster
The LCR sits in a nylon pocket holster; the Glock 19 in a leather holster.

Both competition guns are in Blade-tech kydex holsters with cut-outs on the front for a faster draw.

Practice
When I only shot for practice for self defense, I shot double taps into a silhouette target, aiming for the center of mass. I probably shot once a month or so. I never drew from a holster and usually only shot a few rounds at a time.

For IDPA, I am shooting almost every week, at multiple targets, with cover set up, and with a shot timer.

So.... I guess I'm a gamer now :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment